Bishop A.C. Strong was born November 1,1938 in Hooper City, Birmingham to the late George Andrew and Fannie Mae Strong. At the age of 19, Bishop Strong was baptized in Jesus' Name and received the precious gift of the Holy Ghost at Emmanuel Temple Holiness Church under the leadership of the late Bishop Isaiah Jackson.
The Pentecostal House of Prayer was founded in April 1968 by Bishop A.C. Strong in the front room of his home that was located on the corner of Vine and Newcomb Street. The house served as the church and as his home until such time as Bishop Strong and his family moved to another residence.
The church grew rapidly and it was remodeled several times in order to accommodate this growth. But this was not enough, for God continually added souls to the church and more space was needed. Then in June 1978, God blessed Bishop Strong and his wife (Lavada) to sign and purchase the present church building, and a few days later to sell the church to the Trustees and Members for the sum of one dollar.
God continued to bless Bishop Strong. January 1980, The Pentecostal House of Prayer began its Television Outreach Ministry. Also, the church was blessed to have the opportunity of housing the Meals on Wheels Program and the Clothing Bank, thus making the church the most visible Black church in the community.
The Pentecostal House of Prayer Church complex offered an Adult Education Class and a School of Music, and in December of 1987, the church was recognized as an Institutional District by the City Planning Commission. The Pentecostal House of Prayer under the progressive and dynamic leadership of Bishop A.C. Strong reached out in great measure to host and dying souls with the message of salvation - Jesus Saves!